Sunday, February 05, 2006

My First Christmas Without Momma

As the tears fell down
Like snow upon my face
No marker on your grave
As I stood in this empty place

Momma, if I could hold you now
As you once held me
A broken heart, a name up in lights
for the entire town to see

So alone, not invited to your memorial
By my supposed family
Momma if I could hold you now…
But am only comforted by memory

In your final days
There was so much pain
No food, no water
I begged for just a drop of rain

Momma, a dream has haunted me
Please help me understand
The images calling out to me--
My small hand held by a much larger hand

When the hand let go
I began to pray
I never have felt so alone
Two days later you slipped away

Momma, I searched for you
An unmarked grave buried in snow
Please help me forgive
So in spring my heart will grow.


Lynn Mari, ©2006

No comments: